I don’t think it would be an exaggeration to say that I’ve
watched both trailers for The Hobbit: An
Unexpected Journey about 50 times each. I’ve watched all of the production videos multiple
times. I’ve spent hours looking at
shot-by-shot analyses of the footage on the Internet. Not to mention that I’ve read The Lord of the Rings seven times, that I once watched all three
extended editions of the movies in one day, and that I listed The Fellowship of the Ring as one of the 10 greatest films of all time. To
say that I’m excited for The Hobbit
would be an understatement. A much
more accurate statement would be something like “I’m an obsessive nerd who
should probably get a life” but why would I want to do that?
But since I am not just a Tolkien nerd, but a film nerd in
general, it seems strange that not once on this blog have I commented on the
various issues surrounding The Hobbit
that have other film nerds anxious: 3D, 48 fps, two-no wait-THREE movies out of
one children’s book! It seems that
everyone with access to a computer has made some comment about all of this, but
there’s been silence from Esoteric?! Well, it’s time to rectify that.
I don’t really want to focus on the 3D/48 fps issue. I’m not a fan of 3D. Nothing that I’ve seen of 3D has really
impressed me. I loved Hugo and Prometheus, but when I think about them, I don’t remember the
3D. Movies that I’ve seen in
post-converted 3D like Captain America,
The Avengers and Finding Nemo haven’t convinced me that they really needed it. Then again, I saw Avatar in 2D instead of 3D, so maybe I’m not really qualified to
place judgment on 3D in general.
All I can say is that I don’t like the 3D that I’ve seen.
But I’m still willing to give it a chance. One of Peter Jackson’s production
videos demonstrated the system that he is using to shoot The Hobbit in 3D, and I must say that I found it fascinating. I’m completely open to the possibility
that these movies will (post-) convert me to the 3D side. My plan right now is to see An Unexpected Journey in 2D first, and
then see it a second time in 3D on a huge screen, sitting fairly close to the
front with a bucket of really salty and buttery popcorn and see if I can really
enjoy the experience. And I would
like to give 48 fps a shot, too.
I’d probably prefer to see it in 24 fps for the first time, but I would
like to see how this looks.
Neither 3D nor 48 fps really concerns me. My main focus in this post is with the
fact that Jackson and his team are turning a fairly short children’s book
(shorter than any one of the LOTR
books) into a trilogy of (presumably) 3 hour films. This decision has caused a great deal of controversy. I would guess that hundreds of essays
and think pieces have been written about it. I have found very few of these satisfying (here is one exception from Kristin Thompson).
Part of my frustration is with the general characterization
that I have seen of the book. The
idea seems to be that this rather short book (not more than 300 pages) could
not possibly generate enough material for three movies without feeling bloated and
stretched out. The phrase “butter
scraped over too much bread” comes to mind. I must confess that I had the same thoughts back when
Jackson and Guillermo del Toro (remember those days?) were discussing the
possibility of two movies. But
here’s the thing: it had been many years since I had actually read the
book. And I think that many of the
people criticizing the trilogy decision have also not read the book in a long
time or perhaps not read it at all.
I generally don’t have much patience with people who say: “You don’t get
it because you haven’t read the book.”
But, well, that’s just the truth in this case. Because when I went back to reread The Hobbit this summer, I realized how this whole trilogy thing
might work.
Jackson has talked about how they have added material to The Hobbit from Tolkien’s Appendices at
the end of The Return of the King. For those unfamiliar with the
Appendices, it is essentially a collection of background information about
Middle-Earth that Tolkien could not fit into The Lord of the Rings.
It contains histories of men and dwarves (including the Tale of Aragorn
and Arwen, some of which appeared in the film of The Two Towers), a timeline of events from Second, Third and Fourth
Ages (even covering events that occur after the series ends), information about
languages and lots of other things that nerds like me love to obsess over.
Some of this material will add to what is already laid out
in The Hobbit, namely the history and
culture of the dwarves. This is
something that Jackson did not have much time for in The Lord of the Rings, but will be very important for The Hobbit because of the importance of
the dwarves in this story. This is
one of the things that I am most looking forward to in this new trilogy. The dwarves in The Hobbit are comical, sometimes silly characters, but when battle
comes, they are fierce warriors. Some
of this already came across in LOTR,
but the story of Thorin Oakenshield adds a new dimension. Reading The Hobbit on its own, his story is just a treasure hunt, but after
reading the material in the Appendices, it becomes a very compelling story of
exile and recapturing a lost home.
This will be an incredible way to give the story more weight.
Some of the Appendices material will also go to supplement a
plotline that is only hinted at in the book of The Hobbit, but is sure to be emphasized in the films (this may be
a spoiler, but it has already been
strongly alluded to in the trailers).
In the book, Gandalf joins Bilbo and the dwarves on the journey, but he
often disappears for long stretches of time without explanation. At the end of the book, it is revealed
that Gandalf was involved in combating a villain known as the Necromancer who
is occasionally mentioned but seemingly irrelevant to the main plot. But in The Lord of the Rings books, it is revealed that the Necromancer
was actually Sauron, the main villain of LOTR,
who was gathering his strength in Mirkwood before Gandalf and the White Council
drove him out.
Now, think about this for a moment. Picture The Hobbit with Gandalf just disappearing from the action with no
explanation until the very end when he reveals that he was dealing with the big
villain from LOTR. Would you really find that
satisfying? Or would you feel kind
of cheated? Perhaps if Jackson had
made The Hobbit before The Lord of the Rings, it might have
worked. But now, they have to
address the Necromancer. Adding
this plotline certainly expands the material, possibly enough for two movies.
But three movies? (Possible
spoiler territory continuing) While rereading The Hobbit, I noticed a structural reason for this decision. Namely, the story has two
climaxes. The first climax occurs
about two-thirds of the way through the book, and the second occurs close to
the end like a standard climax. This
might have worked with two movies if both climaxes occurred in the same movie
(distributing the climaxes between the two would have resulted in an
overstuffed first film and a comparatively stretched out second film). But given how frustrated many people
were with the “drawn-out” ending(s) of The
Return of the King, it’s not hard to imagine audiences growing restless
after the first climax.
I’m going to start being more specific now and less
maddeningly vague (serious spoilers now,
get out if you haven’t read the book, though please come back a little further
down the page).
OK, so it’s just people who’ve read The Hobbit now, right?
Remember how Smaug dies well before the ending of the book? Can’t you imagine people being
frustrated and confused during the lead up to the Battle of Five Armies. I mean, it could have worked, but I
think that this might give enough of a rationale to have everything after
Smaug’s death be it’s own movie.
And, I think that this could also be an interesting opportunity. Tolkien sometimes tends to describe
momentous events very briefly, while spending pages describing minute details
of his world (but this is why we love him). Sometimes, this also involves spending very little time with
important characters. So, in The Hobbit, Bard is introduced just
before he kills Smaug. Dain only
speaks one sentence in the entire book.
The events leading up to the Battle of Five Armies are described very
broadly without a lot of specifics.
Now, imagine what all of this might be like if all of these characters
and events were given their own movie.
Not only would this mean more character development and more
detail, but it also provides an opportunity to deal with some interesting moral
questions that don’t often appear in this series. The buildup to the Battle of Five Armies pushes Elves and
Men to the brink of war with the Dwarves.
The enmity between Elves and Dwarves is something that LOTR alludes to, but in The Hobbit, we actually see them
prepared to kill each other. And
Bilbo’s story during all of this is fascinating. He has developed a close bond with the dwarves, but after
seeing Thorin beginning to slip into madness, Bilbo is forced to betray his
companions. Imagine what this
third movie could be, especially with strong characterization for Bilbo,
Thorin, Bard, Dain and Thranduil, something for which more room in the two
previous movies could allow. The Hobbit: There and Back Again could
really be something that we haven’t seen before.
Now, there is another opportunity that a trilogy presents,
but here’s where I think my hopes may be a bit too high. The Appendices detail a horrific war
between the dwarves and the goblins, something that Tolkien alludes to in The Hobbit but doesn’t describe in
detail. With more room to tell the
story, Jackson could develop the culture and characters of the goblins. This is an area where Tolkien’s stories
have been lacking: they have great monsters, but they don’t really have great
villains. If Jackson is able to
turn the goblins into really great villains (in addition to Smaug, of course),
it could make this trilogy really great.
But there is a reason why I think this hope may be a bit to
a high, and it leads into my main concern with the third film. If they have all of the stuff with the
White Council and Dol Guldur, that means they must have Sauron in the
film. This creates all sorts of
problems. One is the issue of
upstaging The Lord of the Rings. Sauron can’t take physical form in The Lord of the Rings, so if he actually
appears in The Hobbit, it will
undermine what is to come. He will
just be less menacing in LOTR. There is also the issue that was
already there in the material, which is that the Ring passes dangerously close
to Sauron during the events of The
Hobbit. And this could lead to
the biggest issue of them all: I am afraid that Sauron will show up at the
Battle of Five Armies. There were
rumors of this when Benedict Cumberbatch alluded to that possibility during an
interview. And it sort of makes
sense. At the same time that he is
driven out of Dol Guldur, there is a battle involving the goblins not too far
away, a battle right where the Ring is.
It would make sense that Sauron would be involved with this battle. What I don’t like about this idea is
that it robs the goblins of their agency.
In The Hobbit, Bolg leads the
goblins into battle because he wants revenge for the death of his father at the
hands (um, axe) of Dain. It would
be much less interesting if Sauron just orders him there.
But there’s a bigger problem. If Sauron enters this battle, that means that he must be
defeated. And that. Can’t. Happen! If
Sauron is defeated in The Hobbit, it
will completely undermine the threat in LOTR. Maybe my fears are irrational, but I
can almost see a big special effects fight between Sauron and Gandalf, which
will completely change everything about who these two characters are, not to
mention the Balrog (nobody ever thinks about the Balrog). Gandalf the Grey cannot be someone who
has faced Sauron and defeated him.
If he is, why would he possibly be afraid of anything in LOTR? It would be a walk in the park for him.
But there’s another reason why I’m afraid of Sauron at the
Battle of Five Armies (well, isn’t everybody afraid of Sauron?). It makes sense from a story perspective
to have Sauron there because that’s where the Ring is. It creates conflict that leads into LOTR and draws Bilbo into the climax,
whereas in the book he is largely absent.
The problem is that this is absolutely WRONG! Sauron cannot know who has the Ring, and he especially
cannot know that Bilbo has it.
Sauron cannot have even heard of hobbits until Gollum tells him. That’s the whole point of this
story. Sauron thinks that these
little people are not at all important, therefore HE DIES! It is completely undermined if he finds
out before LOTR that a hobbit has the
Ring. Again, maybe this is
irrational. Jackson (and Fran
Walsh and Phillippa Boyens) had originally planned for Aragorn to fight Sauron
at the Black Gate, but they came to their senses and changed that. Maybe they will be sensible here,
too. In the book, Sauron has
pretty much left Dol Guldur by the time the White Council gets there, so maybe
there won’t be a direct battle with Sauron.
But just in case: Hugo Weaving said that they haven’t shot
the battle yet, so Peter (or Pete or Mr. Jackson, whatever you prefer), if
you’re reading this and you’re still thinking about having Sauron at the Battle
of Five Armies, please don’t. I’m
not saying this to be a smartass fanboy.
I’m saying this because The Lord
of the Rings is my favorite movie (the whole thing, though if I had to
chose, I would pick Fellowship), and
I want The Hobbit movies to be
great. I want them to be the best
movies that I have ever seen. And
I know that you have to make changes with an adaptation, but I really think
that this particular change will be very bad not just for The Hobbit, but for The Lord
of the Rings, too. So please,
don’t ruin my favorite movie.
OK, so if we still
have people hiding from spoilers, you can come back now. You missed quite a rant, but if you go
read The Hobbit, you can come back
and read this. Or you can wait
three years, see the entire trilogy, and then come back here to see if Peter
Jackson proved me wrong.
As you can see, I have some worries about The Hobbit, too, so I can sympathize
with others who are worried about the decision to make this a trilogy. I think that there is a general fear
from many people who do like The Lord of
the Rings (if they didn’t, why would they care?) that we are about to see
the equivalent of another Star Wars
prequel trilogy. And a lot of
people have not found Jackson’s post-LOTR
work to be very encouraging. I
have not seen The Lovely Bones, so I
cannot comment on that. But the trilogy
decision does seem an awful lot like Jackson’s decision to make King Kong three hours long.
But again, I think I have to diverge with what may be the
general opinion. King Kong has problems, but I don’t
think the running time is really a big one. In fact, the problem with King Kong is not that it’s stretched out, but that it’s overstuffed
with more characters than it knows how to handle and too many ideas that it
wants to explore. And in an era
when so many movies rush to chases and explosions, why is it a lamentable
decision to take an hour at the start of a movie to establish characters and a
tone before all hell breaks loose?
I’ve written before about how frustrated I am with movies, especially
fantasy movies that don’t want to take any time to establish tone, atmosphere
and character and instead rush to the action and special effects. The
Lord of the Rings trilogy is among the few examples of movies that really
know how to manage tone, and the purpose of the three-hour running time in King Kong is make sure the movie
establishes its characters and its tone before the adventure starts.
And that’s what I’m really hoping for from The Hobbit. I think what I may be looking forward to most from the first
film is everything that happens before the adventure begins. With more time to tell the story, the
Unexpected Party (like the Long-Expected Party in Fellowship) could be like the wedding scene in The Godfather: a long sequence that gives enough time to establish
most of the characters that we need to know for this story. Just thinking about all of the things
that Jackson needs to cover here is making me excited: the introduction of all
the dwarves, the comedy of the dwarves’ bad manners and general raucousness,
the moment (already in the first trailer) when the tone shifts (mirroring how
the tone will have to shift between light and dark throughout the trilogy) and
the dwarves start singing “Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold”, explaining the
quest and the history of Erebor, and then the moment when Bilbo decides to go
on the adventure. After all,
that’s the big difference between The
Hobbit and LOTR. Frodo doesn’t really have a choice in
the matter, but Bilbo does. He
could very well decide to just stay at home and let the dwarves find someone
else. But for some reason (it’s
the Tookish side of him) he decides to leave his comfortable life and go on an
adventure (we can already see a little bit of this in the most recent
trailer). This is the moment that
Jackson really has to nail, and I think he can do it.
But I suppose many might not be quite won over. Describing how more time could be used
to expand the opening (and probably my mention of The Godfather) might confirm to some that The Hobbit movies will be bloated. Memories of the hour-long curtain raiser of King Kong might be coming to mind. Maybe these imaginary objectors will be
right. Maybe this will be another King Kong: an ambitious but ultimately
flawed movie that doesn’t really hold together. Yes, King Kong is
“flawed” and doesn’t quite work. But
it has moments of real beauty, and at least it’s clearly made not out of some
crass commercial calculation, but out of genuine love for and belief in its material
and a desire to create something truly wonderful. That’s also the spirit of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and even though this new trilogy
might not match LOTR in quality, if The Hobbit has this spirit, too, then I’ll
be happy.







No comments:
Post a Comment